You may wish to check whether you can get funding to cover the costs of your course from Jobs + under the Training pays scheme
Fitness Instructor – Gym Based Exercise Course from YMCA – Level 2
Future Focus through YMCA awards offers respected qualifications to persons working in the fitness industry. There are over 350 YMCA awards delivering centres around the world and these qualify more than 30,000 students each year within the UK and internationally; YMCA awards has centres in a number of European countries, South Africa, Abu Dhabi, and Bahrain.
Gaining a YMCA approved qualification enables individuals to join the UK Register of Exercise Professionals, opening up job opportunities in the UK and across the world, through the International Confederation of Registers for Exercise Professionals (ICREPs), Australia and New Zealand.
This qualification is aimed at the learner who wants to pursue a career in the health and fitness industry as a fitness instructor in the context of gym-based exercise.
Learners will cover:
• Anatomy and physiology including:
- the heart and circulatory system
- the respiratory system
- structure and function of the skeleton
- musculoskeletal system
- postural and core stability
- the nervous and energy systems and their relation to exercise
• How to maintain health, safety and welfare in a variety of fitness environments, including the safeguarding of children and vulnerable adults
• How to programme safe and effective exercise for a range of clients, the health benefits of physical activity and the importance of healthy eating
• How to communicate with clients effectively, and motivate clients to adhere to an exercise programme
• The skills and knowledge required to plan and prepare a gym-based exercise programme with apparently healthy adults - both individuals and groups. This may include young people in the 14-16 age range, provided they are part of a larger adult group. Client groups also covered are older adults, ante and postnatal clients and disabled clients provided the relevant contraindications and key safety guidelines are observed
Applications are open. Lessons will be held once weekly from 18.00 hrs to 20.00 hrs
Students who complete this qualification can continue to study to become a Personal Trainer. Details of the Personal Training course can be found under the relative section
Euro 800 – deposit of Euro 400 and Euro 400 on the first day of the course.
14 lessons of 2 hours each and 100 hours in a gym. One of these lessons will be in a gym.
Course assessment includes theory lessons, continous assessment and summative assessment.
There are no entry requirements for this course but students are expected to have a good working knowledge of English.